Sunday, July 24, 2011

We have snow!

We have had a massive snow storm overnight with over 30cm of snow falling, and its still going off and on today.

The kids were so excited, its been a couple of years since we last had snow on the ground, so they immediately wanted to go out and have a snowball fight :)

I think they lasted about 5 minutes before they were both frozen. They didn't think to put gloves on... Apparently its the biggest snow dump we have had in 15 years. It sure is pretty out there.
Of the four horses, three are in wool lined canvas and were warm and dry. Poor Molly is wearing a brand new synthetic rug and they just don't seem to hold up to heavy snow, she was quite damp and chilled this morning. I brought her and my filly into the stables and let Molly dry out and re-rugged her before putting them back. 

The more I handle my filly the more I get excited about her, she has never seen snow before, her eyes were out on stalks and she just sticks with me and does whatever I ask of her, even though she wasn't sure about all the white stuff everywhere - she has a real "I trust you mum" attitude :)

We did have another very unimpressed member of the household...
The only problem now is once all that snow melts my paddocks are going to turn into mud :(

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Look at all your snow! It's so odd to read a post about snow because for us, it's mid-summer here! I imagine you will probably feel the same way in December when it's summer down there and snowing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget sometimes where you live.. so your post scared me!!! ha ha ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I long for snow -- don't get 4 seasons in SE Georgia -- either hot or d**n hot. I miss the New England fall where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete