I'm going to digress a bit here, simply because I had such an exciting day yesterday!
In 2009 I bought a 9 month old filly called "Tui Hills Celtic Mead" or Honey for short. Honey is by the Irish Hunter stallion
Te Mania Blue Fable out of a warmblood broodmare.
She has the most fantastic temperament, and just seems to take everything in her stride. She has a massive over reach at the walk, a floaty trot and the most fantastic looking easy canter. But I have to say that between the ages of 1 and 2 she resembled a donkey! Fortunately she started to grow into herself this spring as she turned 2 and just after Xmas she went to a good friend of mine for some work. She has been mouthed and this weekend was her first time long-reining.
She was a wee star and took everything in her stride.
 |
| Me learning how to long rein Honey |
She was so well behaved my friend suggested throwing a saddle on her as we long reined, just to see how she reacted.
 |
| First time with a saddle on |
Then at the end of the session my friend asked if I wanted a leg up. Sure I said! Who can resist that first "sit" on your youngster?
 |
| First time with someone on her back :) |
Honey will have another week or so of long reining, to get her turns established, then I will turn her away for another year to continue growing. She is about 15.1hh or 15.2hh currently, but very slab sided! We think she will grow to about 16 hh and should fill out nicely to a hunter type. Roll on Xmas 2011 so I can have her properly broken in, then I just have to wait a few more years after that before throwing a sidesaddle on her, better start saving for one now LOL
Hi Anita, I absolutely love side saddle. Its such a beautiful looking activity. Im a painter and Im looking for a side side image to paint. I love the image at the top of your blog. Where did you locate it. Eleanor
ReplyDelete