Monday, February 21, 2011

Another massive earthquake :(

Sept 2010 we had a 7.1 earthquake here in Canterbury, that was over 30kms deep and fortunately that one occurred a 4.30am at a weekend when everybody was home with their families. Today we were not so lucky :(

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4688231/Deaths-destruction-in-Christchurch-quake

A 6.3 that was only 5kms deep struck today at lunch time. I have never been so scared, the whole house moved and shook and I could only watch as the horses galloped terrified around their paddock. Rob (my husband ) was in inner city Christchurch which has just been devastated. The city is flattened. He walked past rubble with limbs sticking out :( It took 3 hours to drive home 45 kms, which normally takes 45 minutes. I had no contact with him for over 2 hours and didn't know if he was trapped or not. Fortunately the kids were all OK at school, but after shocks are continuing.

Phone, internet and power are intermittent. I might not be on-line for awhile, lots to sort out here. We are all ok ,thank god, others have not been so lucky, there are multiple fatalities in town.

5 comments:

  1. How terrifying! Glad that you, your hubby & kids are ok!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just woke up and heard on the news that there had been an earthquake in Christchurch and wondered if you guys were alright!!
    I'm glad you guys are ok but sorry that this happened :(
    Keep us up to date when you are able to so we know you guys are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers coming your way from the US. Glad that your family is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came here to check on you, and am glad to see a post. Your husband was in all that ruin?!? I'm glad he's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts immediately went to you all when I heard about the quake. Sounds terrifying as well as devasdating. I'm glad to hear that your bipedal and quadrupedal family are OK.

    ReplyDelete