This is the response I have had from Dressage NZ:
The latest FEI rules, effective January 1 2011, do not allow a side saddle. "ART 428 Saddlery FEI rules says:- Dressage saddle which must be close to the horse and have long, near vertical flaps ..........." Therefore a side saddle would not be allowed.
They will not allow me to ride sidesaddle :(
Robin, can you help? My understanding is that it is allowed under FEI rules?
Side saddles have vertical flaps, not rounded flaps like a jumping saddle or All Purpose.
ReplyDeleteWhy is Dressage NZ being so awkward when British Dressage allows side saddles and they follow FEI rules??
Simple answer is because it is different and nobody has done it before, therefore it's not allowed. Obviously way too many sheep in New Zealand, can't possibly try and be a llama... :)
ReplyDeleteAnd their arguement is that they ARE following the FEI rules. And to be fair to them, I have looked at the 2011 FEI rules and sidesaddle is not mentioned anywhere!
I need a reference that specifically allows sidesaddle or they are just going to dig their toes in. I thought it was in the FEI rules but it doesn't appear to be... maybe it is actually just the national dressage groups that allow it, like British Dressage?
Maybe just turn up and ride your test side saddle. If you don't place, you don't place. What are they going to do? Arrest you? at least you would get side saddle out there in front of the judges and people.
ReplyDeleteI looked at the BD rules and they seem to follow FEI rules and add their own as well:
http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/how_to_get_started/rules
The problem is they will eliminate me as soon as I trot up, so I'd be paying entry fees for nothing.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to analyse the British rules and the USDF rules and put something together. And it still doesn't say that it has to be ASTRIDE, but they seem to have their heads in the sand over that.
I feel like replying to them and asking if it would be acceptable if I had the Stubben or KN DRESSAGE sidesaddle...
The problem is that the FEI doesn't specifically address the sidesaddle issue directly. The wording doesn't exactly ban sidesaddles, either so it is definitely subject to interpretation. Many years ago I when I first started eventing aside I was told that I couldn't use a sidesaddle because the rules specifically required a "balanced or forward seat saddle" and it took some real convincing to get the TDs to see things my way. The problem is that many people see sidesaddles as somewhat gimicky rather than a working piece of equipment.
ReplyDeleteI recently emailed Anne Moss about this very wording; her answer was that she simply assumed that she could use her sidesaddle and cantered right down centerline as if it were common practice. As they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. In the US we have rules that trump the FEI regulations at national level shows or below; this allows riders to wear a helmet with a shadbelly, use a sidesaddle, or use a snaffle even at upper levels. The FEI rules are strictly adhered to at international level competitions or qualifying competitions, i.e. olympic or WEG team trials, etc. So, when Owen and I try out for the next Pan Am Games team we'll need to use a full bridle! ;)
An option you might try is obtaining a dispensation from the ruling body that allows you to use a sidesaddle as a compensating piece of equipment for a disability. You would need verification from a doctor, and you may need to exaggerate a bit, such as I can't ride astride rather than I'd rather not. I've seen some interesting means of adapting, including the use of bit converters/roundings for an FEI level rider. And these have been in regular competition, not para classes.
Yes, a dressage saddle is specified, but it doesn't specify an astride saddle. You might try getting something in writing from Wendy stating that your saddle was made with dressage in mind.
Don't give up!
I do feel like giving up! We have also had another massive earthquake here in Canterbury and it is really bad, the inner city is destroyed and my husband had to walk past rubble with limbs sticking out :( I am probably still in shock and getting quietly drunk while the world rocks around me... so this might ramble a bit...
ReplyDeleteI am classified for para-dressage and my sidesaddle is specified as my compensating aid. But Dressage NZ won't let para-riders ride against the able-bodied riders. It has turned into a huge and ugly fight here and the para riders are talking about getting the Human Rights commission involved - it has got that serious. So I am grounded, my dressage aside career consisted of 1 outing.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about the earthquake but I'm glad you're ok!!
ReplyDeleteI don't show a lot, and when I do it's usually only small, fun shows. I just find it too expensive and the fun gets lost in the serious competitions. There are lots of other fun things to do sidesaddle like demo's, parades etc. I really enjoy doing those much more than competing, it still stinks that they won't let you though. I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to compete against non-para riders. Seems very limiting.
I know here, if a show is sanctioned by Equine Canada, you can ride sidesaddle in any of their classes except a few. If a show is sanctioned by the Alberta Equestrian Federation, you can't. I think it's just their way of dealing with the fact that sidesaddle freaks a lot of judges out because they don't know what to do with it or how to judge it. It's silly though. I'm very lucky to know one of the senior dressage judges in the area and she's an avide sidesaddle rider and promotes it strongly.
Another thought on the show front, could you perhaps talk to the organizers of some shows and see if they'd think of including a sidesaddle class?
I think if it were me, I'd show up and ride "Hors Concours" a few times to show them you CAN do it as well as the other riders and maybe they'd change their mind? It will still be fun even if you don't place. We'll still be proud of ya!