Well I was a bundle of nerves and had to hit my hip flask by 9am. I had so many people coming to "have a look" at me doing sidesaddle I nearly baled before I got there, I thought performance nerves would get the better of me.
Molly was ok, but very tense and hot in her trot work. I figured I would just smile and have a nice day and try not to worry about it. A friend is a professional photographer and she came along especially to take photos of me. She is obviously tense in quite a few of them and I did try and find the "nicer" ones to share LOL A few others are ruined as my apron is filthy... it obviously rubbed against her then came out from under my foot, any suggestions on how to keep it in place? I think the elastic is not in the right spot.
But I will definately be ordering some of these piks, its so nice to have "proper" photos.
She was quite resistant in her trot work and against my hand and just wanted to motor off on the forehand, and that is something we need to work on more. Her canter work was fantastic compared to how it was 6 months ago. We got the correct strike off both times as soon as I asked for it. So I was rapt with that. We also need to work on bend and straightness as she is starting to tend to drift, particularly on the right rein.
We ended up scoring 70% and came 5th out of a field of 25 starts. Onwards and upwards :)
![]() |
| Waiting our turn |
![]() |
| Trot entry |
![]() |
| trot 20m circle |
![]() |
| Canter left |
![]() |
| Canter right |
![]() |
| Final halt & salute |
![]() |
| What a clever pony! |







Yay! Would you believe I've been checking the blog periodically today to see how you did?
ReplyDeleteI pass the toe elastic around the back of my right ankle before placing it over my boot toe instead of just slipping it over my toe like a stirrup; this helps keep the flap under your right calf. You can also sew a little square of velcro on the flap.
Thanks for the tip Robin, I'll try that next time. I think I need to move the buttons over too, as the apron kept slipping around and I ended up with the centre seam in the middle, which probably also made it pull out from under my foot.
ReplyDeleteMolly wasn't the best behaved today but she was so much better than she was astride & I loved her canter. I just need to sit tall, look up and ride like a SSDQ now :)
Well done Anita!!!
ReplyDeleteThat apron thing happened to me last year when we did the clear round jumping class. The elastic had stretched out over the years so I sewed a new one shorter one on.
Just one more comment...I don't see any bling.
ReplyDeleteShe is wearing her blingy name browband, but as it was no plaiting her forelock kept covering it up. I was going to plait so it was more obvious but I felt conspicuous enough as it was! lol
ReplyDeleteI might have to pick your brain too Robin, we really need to work on straightness & bend (she is drifting her hind a bit right and over bending left) and I need some pointers :)
Congrats Anita!! You guys looked fantastic!I've been looking forward to this post too.
ReplyDeleteThe nerves are the worst! I nearly bailed last year when we went to the Mane Event, there was so many people!
Good job! It must be very satisfying to get out and do it, and to do well.
ReplyDelete