Thursday, April 21, 2011

Who stole Autumn?

Autumn is normally our best growing period. Sure the mornings are cool and it gets darker quicker, but we usually have good daytime temperatures and enough occassional rain to get all the paddocks to leap into action. Given we have droughts over summer we really need our autumn growth to see us through winter. 

So who stole autumn? We seem to have gone from summer straight into winter. We have had quite a bit of rain and low, low temperatures. We had a southerly this week right off the Antarctic and it started snowing further south already!

The sun is out today but it is suppose to turn southerly again next week. There is a tiny bit of new growth in the paddocks, about 1 inch or so, in the 2 paddocks I reseeded. Fingers crossed May picks up a wee bit. On the plus side I turned our lucerne (alfalfa) paddock into baleage this year, so that will see the girls through the worse of winter, it is smelling divine already.

On the horsey front I have a new mare here for awhile. She belongs to a friend and is wintering here, and I can ride her too. She has been a pasture ornament for a some time, so I need to get her going. I am thinking of selling Molly, so need to decide what I am doing there :(

And I may have *accidentally* acquired another sidesaddle. I don't get that for a few more weeks, so hopefully my next post will be a horsey/sidesaddle update :)

3 comments:

  1. Oooooh please post pics of your new sidesaddle when it comes and your new pony! What kind of sidesaddle is it? Where did you get it?

    How come you're considering selling Molly?

    Btw How are things since the earthquake? Hopefully everyone is doing ok down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle I was thinking of selling Molly as she can be a tricky ride - rather hot & sensitive and sometimes I think a slow plodder would be more my speed BUT she is my sidesaddle pony :)

    My friend has lent me her clydie-cross mare to have a play and decide what I want to do.

    My hubby has had to relocate to Wellington for at least 6 months due to the quake. Town is heart breaking, there just isn't much left. I will do an update about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often thought that I'd like an easier ride a lot of days but in the end I can't sell my Brigit. She really does take things in stride well. Perhaps my next horse will be a gelding....and not a chestnut! lol

    That's sad to hear that there isn't much left. I can't believe all of the natural disasters that seem to be hitting this year. Earthquakes, tornados, tsunami's etc. No good.

    ReplyDelete